Monday 28 December 2009

Two Lighthouses

From the beach we could see the lighthouses at the mouth of the Tyne, flashing clearly in the background. This picture doesn't do them justice, I just managed to catch one. Seeing them made me remember this poem - I think that these are the actual lighthouses which inspired Julia Darling


Two Lighthouses

I would like us to live like two lighthouses
at the mouth of a river, each with her own lamp.

We could see each other across the water,
which would be dangerous, and uncrossable.

I could watch your shape, your warm shadow,
moving in the upper rooms. We would have jokes.

Jokes that were only ours, signs and secrets,
flares on birthdays, a rocket at Christmas.

Clouds would be cities, we would look for omens,
and learn the impossible language of birds.

We would meet, of course, in cinemas, cafes,
but then, we would return to our towers,

knowing the other was the light on the water,
a beam of alignment. It would never be broken.

Julia Darling
from ‘Apology for Absence’

1 comment:

  1. I heard this poem on 'BBC Radio 4' this evening - it moved me so much I got out of bed and found it here. Its sentiment perfectly portrays my relationships with my special people. I would love to dedicate a life of devotion to them but I only have the one life - and the ladies are many. My instinctive need for contact but at an arms length is perfectly described by this wonderful poem.

    ReplyDelete