Saturday 12 June 2010

What Lies Beneath

Now I'm swimming more front crawl, I think I need to examine my reluctance to open my eyes when my head's underwater. In the pool there's no problem, I like looking at the tiles below me and seeing the bubbles when I breathe.
In lakes, however - a different story. I love swimming outside, but the thought of what I might see if I peer into the depths of the water is what unnerves me. Maybe I watched too much Scooby Doo or something when I was little. On TV shows what the water conceals is always bound to be scary, otherwise the viewers would get bored and change the channel, wouldn't they?  However life's not like that. Or is it??
I found this interesting piece about the work of  police divers. To my mind, their job must be a nightmare. In the article, an officer says that one of the most satisfying aspects of his job is finding dead bodies, so that grieving relatives are able to have closure. I can't imagine how scary that must be - well I can, but those are exactly the kind of fears I try to keep in check, particularly in the middle of a lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment