Thursday 4 March 2010

Pseud's Corner

The sun has come out and it has gone to my head! Maybe Spring is here at last!
Whenever I walk our dog on days like today, I find myself thinking of two poems by Goethe which I had to learn by heart for my A Level German in 1977! Here they are:

Auf dem See

Und frische Nahrung, neues Blut
Saug ich aus freier Welt;
Wie ist Natur so hold und gut,
Die mich am Busen haelt!
Die Welle wieget unsern Kahn
Im Rudertakt hinauf,
Und Berge, wolkig himmelan,
Begegnen unserm Lauf.

Wanderers Nachtlied II

Ueber allen Gipfeln
Ist Ruh,
In allen Wipfeln
Spuerest du
Kaum einen Hauch:
Die Voegelein schweigen im Walde.
Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Illustration of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832) is by Andy Warhol (1982).  Fantastic isn't it?!  

No comments:

Post a Comment